It’s been a bit of a slog, but things should be up and running again. The transition was a bit harder than expected.
Here are some things you should know:
- The site is generated by the Hugo static site generator.
- The site uses a trivial modification of the very pleasant Blackburn theme. There are still some kinks I want to work out, but it is very useful overall.
- The repository for the site is on GitHub here and is generated from the information in the repository here. These are my only two repositories on GitHub at the moment.
- The site is hosted on GitHub Pages using a custom domain.
- The site is served through a free Cloudflare account.
I’ve gone through and checked for broken links a few times now. Several passes. So that means there are probably still a dozen that are broken. Hah.
Even though the link to thig blog is to an HTTPS server from Cloudflare, the path from GitHub to Cloudflare is not served over a secure connection.
For whatever reason, GitHub pages cannot serve a site with a custom domain over HTTPS. It’s kinda weird that they don’t since other companies that offer free accounts can provide HTTPS and Let’s Encrypt certificates, like the free accounts at Wordpress.